Aren’t these so sweet! Who wouldn’t delight in receiving one as a Thank You or ‘Just Because’ card? They are fun and so easy to make (perhaps a little addictive I might add) and kids would enjoy making them too.
For me, the beauty of these flowers is that they are perfectly imperfect, with their wonky sizes and shapes, they are pretty much everything I love about handmade!!
You will need:
Paper scraps – any colours, textures you want
Glue – I use Tombow
6 x 4 pieces of card (blank on one side) if you plan to use them for cards. You could also use them on tags!
Got everything? Great! Then let’s get started:
STEP 1 – Creating the leaves
Top Tip: use various colours & patterns for each pair of leaves, it gives you a fun & funky look!
- Look out green papers from your scrap pile, these will become your leaves.
- Cut them into approx 1.5″ x 2″ pieces (or smaller/bigger/fatter/thinner depending on the look you want to achieve)
- Starting from one of the bottom corners, cut upwards in a gentle curve to the opposite corner at the top. Turn and repeat.
- Set aside for later
STEP 2 – Creating the flowers
This is where the fun really begins!! You can be as creative as you like here and add as many layers as you want.
Top Tip: cut out as many flowers as you need BEFORE gluing, it’s much quicker than making one flower at a time.
- Start off by cutting your smallest circle first. Mine are usually approx 1″ in diameter but anything goes here. No need for it to be a perfect circle.
- Now sit that on top of the paper you want to use as the next layer. Using it as a guide, carefully trim around leaving a border. Again, you can do what you like here, fat border or skinny border, it doesn’t matter.
- Repeat this until you have achieved the layering or size of flower you want. My flowers usually work out at a finished size of approx 2.5″
- Keep making the flowers like this until you have as many as you want to make.
- When you are ready to glue the layers together, start by adding a tiny amount of glue to the TOP of the bottom layer, add the next layer and repeat until all layers have been added.
STEP 3 – Adding the leaves to your pretty flowers
Top Tip: Use a pencil to mark a guide whereabouts the leaves will be hidden under the flower. Glue BELOW this line just to make sure no glue spills over to the front of the flower.
- Start by selecting 2 leaves – I like to use 2 different styles but anything goes.
- BEFORE you glue anything, position where you would like the leaves to be. I like to overlap mine as shown in the photo.
- Once you are happy with the look, carefully turn everything over, face down.
- Lift up your leaves and apply a small amount of glue to base of the flower to where the first leaf will be attached.
- Attach first leaf, add a spot more glue to the back of it, and attach the second one.
STEP 4 – Adding your pretty flowers to cards
If you are using them for cards, then simply fold over your 6 x 4 pieces of card and attach your flower with glue.
Well done!! Give yourself a pat on the back, you have just created unique & individual pretty paper flowers. Now go and show them off!
Until next time